Aquatics Lifeguard Instructor
Rate Range: $15-$20 per hour
Looking for availability on weekends to teach Blended learning Redcross Lifeguard classes.
As a condition of employment anyone beginning employment after October 1, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated. All New hires beginning work after October 1, 2021 who wish to apply for a medical or religious exemption must contact HR and request the exemption form. This is required upon acceptance of the employment offer.
Under the direction of the Middlesex YMCA Aquatics, the lifeguard instructor is responsible for the instruction, leadership, supervision, control, and safety of all class participants. The lifeguard instructor is responsible for the appearance, presentation, and working order of all materials and equipment used for lifeguard instruction. It is the lifeguard instructor's responsibility to observe and direct all class participants, and to provide feedback and appropriate correction as instructed or included in the job description.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Plans and organizes personal class teaching outlines, methods and goals that support the general teaching outlines provided by the American Red Cross Lifeguard and CPR programs.
• Ability to adapt your teaching approach to match the experience and abilities of the participants.
• Organizes and directs activities of assigned participants in order to provide a high level of quality instruction for all students.
• Ensures that all class students are registered and on the class roster prior to beginning class
• Resolves simple public complaints in matters related to instruction and refers other complaints to the supervisor.
• Enforces pool safety standards and facility operational rules for all individuals using the facilities.
• Helps organize and assists in the development of special programs, activities or instruction.
• Completes and submits records and documentation of completed classes to the Aquatics supervisor and the American Red Cross office.
• Works with the Aquatics supervisor on an on-going basis to upgrade, improve and refine individual teaching skills related to teaching effective American Red Cross courses.
• Performs related duties as required.
• Current Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Required.
• Current Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor Certification Required.
• Current CPR/ First Aid/AED Certifications Required
• Previous Lifeguard instruction experience.
• Ability to react to emergency situations by quick movements, strenuous activity, and on occasion assist or lift persons in distress of varying weights.
• Required to remain alert to dangerous situations while sitting, standing or walking for various lengths of time.
The YMCA strives to deliver positive change in communities throughout Northern Middlesex County. Every day, our staff -- of all ages, backgrounds and life experiences -- works to bridge the gaps in community needs by nurturing the potential of children and Teens, improving individuals' health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
The Northern Middlesex YMCA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, and training. The Northern Middlesex YMCA makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.