Outdoor Group Exercise Instructor
Group Exercise Instructor
Job Location: YMCA - Middletown, CT
Position Type: Part Time
Salary Range: $20.00 - $25.00 Hourly
Job Category: Nonprofit - Social Services
- Plan and lead group outdoor exercise classes ensuring that participants are performing safe exercises. Modify exercise class in accordance with participants level, greet everyone by using names whenever possible and make relationship building the number one priority at all times.
- Conducts group exercise classes according to the Middlesex YMCA Program Quality Guidelines, as well as the specific class format.
- Maintains current level of certification by attending trainings and any required classes.
- Supervise class participants and activities to ensure safety and report any irregularities to supervisor immediately.
- Distribute handouts/evaluations to participants as assigned by supervisor.
- Take responsibility to keep equipment neat and clean and put away after each class.
- Maintain active interest in and knowledge of current YMCA programs and shares information with members and community.
- Be a professional representative of the YMCA.
- Be able to work as a team member, assisting fellow staff when necessary.
- Make yourself available to all members regardless of age, gender, race, socioeconomic status, or fitness level. Share your knowledge and be a resource for sound health and fitness information.
- Be familiar with emergency procedures. Responds promptly and appropriately.
- Maintain good attendance. Give supervisor at least two week notice of schedule changes.
- Assume total responsibility for obtaining qualified substitutes when needed and inform supervisor.
- Arrive for assigned class well-groomed and in proper uniform.
- Attendance at staff meetings is mandatory.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- A level of member satisfaction as reflected in member retention, member surveys and other measurement tools
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Current Nationally recognized Group Exercise certification as well as current CPR and AED.
- One year minimum teaching experience preferred
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Must possess strong communication, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Must possess a running knowledge of general overall health and fitness
- Must be able to work as an integral member of a staff team.
- Must possess the ability to communicate effectively with adults, seniors and special populations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS :
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing functions of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Middlesex YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer