Apply Online: https://northernmiddlesexymca.corehr.hrcloud.com/northernmiddlesex/#/jobs
Position Title: Aquatics Lifeguard
Reports to: Aquatics Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared Date: 3/16/22
Hourly Range: $15.50-16.50 per hour
Reports to: Aquatics Director
Not certified? We will certify you!!!
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: A lifeguard’s primary responsibility is to care for the safety of the public at the pool and throughout the YMCA facility by using preventative and responsive rescue, first aid and CPR/AED techniques. Lifeguards are also responsible for the basic physical upkeep of the pool area when such duties do not interfere with the surveillance of the water. Regardless of other duties, lifeguards should always be scanning the water when patrons are swimming.
PRINCIPLE ACTIVITIES :
- Positively represent the YMCA and exemplify the character values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in all relationships
- While on duty, constantly scan the surface and the bottom of the pool using 10-10 Scanning technique
- Provide appropriate rescue and treatment for distressed or injured patrons.
- Always provide care with proper personal equipment and the use of standard precautions.
- Enforce regulations pertaining to showers, food and drink, conduct, etc.
- Learn and review emergency procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings. This may include, but is not limited to, minimum distance swim tests and in-service trainings.
- Report to work no later than 5 minutes before the start of your shift.
- Be in proper uniform.
- Lifeguards will wear a whistle at all times.
- Never leave the pool deck unless on of the following conditions is met: 1) Another certified lifeguard is taking over the shift; 2) the pool and the pool area are cleared of patrons, and all the doors are locked.
- Be positive, polite and patient when dealing with members
- Help members when possible but never stop scanning the water.
- Lifeguard must report to any shift, permanent or substitute. When unable to attend shift, Lifeguard must abide by appropriate call out procedures.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Maintain Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR/AED certification from American Red Cross (or other accredited organization)
- Swim Test Requirements: Need to be able to hold at least 10 lbs while in the water without flotation.
- Must be able to retrieve a 10 pound weight from the bottom of the deep end (10 ft.) then proceed to tread water with it for 1 minute. Instructor must also be able to swim 200 yards consistently.
- Lifeguards will be required to stand/sit for extended periods of time. While performing functions of this job, the employee will be required to stand, walk, and sit. 20/20 vision is required (with corrective lenses if necessary) to properly perform task and job requirements.
- In the event of emergencies, employees will be required to physically perform tasks in compliance with their certifications and the needs of the emergency set forth.
The YMCA strives to deliver positive change in communities throughout Northern Middlesex County. Every day, our staff -- of all ages, backgrounds and life experiences -- works to bridge the gaps in community needs by nurturing the potential of children and teens, improving individuals' health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
The Northern Middlesex YMCA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, and training. The Northern Middlesex YMCA makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.