Aquatic Instructor Youth
Apply Online: https://northernmiddlesexymca.corehr.hrcloud.com/northernmiddlesex/#/jobs
Position Title: Aquatics Instructor Assistant Youth
Reports to: Aquatics Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared Date: 3/16/22
Hourly Range $16.50-17.50 per hour
Not Certified? We will certify you!!!
We are Looking for someone with Weekend Availability 9am-12pm
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Swim Instructor Assistant will ensure a positive growth experience for all swimmers while teaching appropriate YMCA progressive skills and standards and while ensuring personal safety for all participants while under the direction of the Head Group Lesson
- Positively represent the YMCA and exemplify the character values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in all relationships
- Arrive 5 minutes before scheduled starting time of class to set up, inspect all equipment for safety.
- Have lesson plan for each class using appropriate Skill sheets
- Participate ENTHUSICASTICALLY with your class
- Ensure proper behavior in the pool: 1) students follow pool rules and respect their classmates; 2) Inform parents and Aquatic supervisors of chronic behavior problems by students
- Ensure proper use and storage of equipment. It is the responsibility of the instructor to ensure that all equipment has been put away at the end of class.
- Communicate next skill level for each participant by the third week of the session (for 5 week sessions), and week 6 (for 8 week sessions).
- Be ready to carry out the Northern Middlesex YMCA Emergency Action Plan
- Be responsible for your students from the time they enter the pool area until they leave.
- For private lessons: Maintain excellent communication regarding schedule to participant and the Aquatics Director, Keep an up to date log of when lessons are being taught, Maintain a communication stream to participant when the package is close to ending
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Maintain CPR/AED certification from American Red Cross (or other accredited organization). Be willing to obtain certification if not currently owned.
- Maintain Water Safety Instructor certification from American Red Cross (or other accredited organization). Be willing to obtain certification if not currently owned.
- While performing functions of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Time will be spent with participants in both shallow water (3 ft.) and deep water (10 ft.). Instructors need to be physically able to hold at least 10 lbs. while in the water (If Large pool lesson)
- Instructors must be able to retrieve a 10 pound weight from the bottom of the deep end (10 ft.) then proceed to tread water with it for 1 minute. Instructor must also be able to swim 200 yards consistently. (If Large pool lessons.
The YMCA strives to deliver positive change in communities throughout Northern Middlesex County. Every day, our staff -- of all ages, backgrounds and life experiences -- works to bridge the gaps in community needs by nurturing the potential of children and teens, improving individuals' health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
The Northern Middlesex YMCA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, and training. The Northern Middlesex YMCA makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.