Northern Middlesex YMCA
General Position DescriptionThe Teacher Assistant supports the Teachers and the Director by helping to create a caring and safe environment for the children and assisting in activities to improve the overall care and quality of education. S/he must be able to communicate, listen and work well with others in a team environment. Assisting the staff in implementing a quality educational program and in developing positive relationships with the children and their parents, the Teacher Assistant observes and documents children’s interest and progress, and relays that information back to parents and staff. Teacher Assistant are responsible for implementing developmentally appropriate activities based on children’s interests and needs under the direction of the Teacher and the Director.
This position reports to Early Childhood Programs Director
- Assist in the implementation of curricula activities and encourage participation by children.
- Actively engage in activities; manage cleanliness, maintenance, and availability of classroom materials.
- Build and maintain a professional compassionate relationship with frequent communications with families through daily greeting routine, discussions, classroom app posts, and progress reports.
- Encourage healthy eating habits, self-help and good hygiene through behavior modeling.
- Help ensure smooth, daily transition from home to child care center.
- Follow all center policies and state regulations.
- Maintain personal professional development plan to ensure continuous quality improvement.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Minimum of 1-2 years of professional child care experience.
- High energy with growth mindset and willingness to participate in problem solving
- Ability to work well with others.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and basic computer skills.
- An understanding of child development.
- Excellent organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Infant/child CPR and First Aid certification, Medication Administration certification, Mandated Report Training, and Care4kids mandated provider training.
- Must clear full background check and provide a health statement with a Tuberculosis test results from a medical physician.
- An Associate’s Degree or significant college credit in early childhood education or related field of study preferred.
- Must be able to bend and lift 40 lbs.
Employment TypePart or Full time
Wage Range$15 to $17 an hour
The YMCA strives to deliver positive change in communities throughout Northern Middlesex County. Every day, our staff -- of all ages, backgrounds and life experiences -- works to bridge the gaps in community needs by nurturing the potential of children and teens, improving individuals' health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
The Northern Middlesex YMCA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, and training. The Northern Middlesex YMCA makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.