We Are Inspired to Serve. Join us!
PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position is the HR visionary and strategic HR subject matter expert (SME) on the local campus to assure that HR programs and initiatives are in place which support the mission and business of Covenant Retirement Communities (CRC) and the local campus. This position is accountable for all aspects of the human resources management function of the campus. This includes development and application of campus personnel policies, procedures and practices, maintenance of human resource documentation and employee personnel files, development and management of position descriptions, adherence to corporate pay administration program as well as corporate policies and procedures, management of the workers’ compensation program, and application of federal and state laws and regulations. This position also manages the campus aspect of centralized benefits and oversees the campus function related to centralized payroll. This position oversees recruitment and retention of campus staff, new employee orientation, employee communication and recognition, employee relations, aspects of training and development, and the management of the timekeeping system and HRIS.
NATURE AND SCOPE
This position reports directly to the executive director (ED) and functions as part of the campus
management / leadership team. This positions functions as a Human Resources Business Partner supporting multiple departments including Nursing, Dining, Housekeeping, Administration and Maintenance.
The individual in this position has regular communication with the national director of human
resources (ND/HR), other central office staff including corporate HR staff, vice presidents, IT staff, as well as other CRC campus human resources directors. This position respectfully interacts with employees, residents, family members and visitors, and maintains a positive customer service relationship practicing honesty and integrity in all aspects of job performance.
In performance of duties, the human resources director (HRD) is entrusted with the following
- Assure compliance with state and federal employment regulations as well as corporate and campus HR policies.
- In collaboration with the central office HR staff, work to assure that national/corporate initiatives that are within their scope of responsibility are supported and implemented on the local campus.
- Assess campus needs and develop strategic HR initiatives that are not already identified as part of the national/corporate HR agenda.
- Direct and supervise campus Human Resources Assistant/Coordinator.
- Actively participate in the annual Integrated Strategic Plan (ISP) and annual budget process.
- In collaboration with administration and hiring managers/supervisors, develop and implement recruiting strategies that result in a dependable and timely flow of candidates to the campus.
- Coordinate the advertising for applicants including active recruiting efforts in the community, schools, and job fairs.
- Conduct initial screening and interviewing of applicants, refer qualified applicants for interview with department managers; assures maintenance of all employee application records.
- Coordinate hiring process, including reference checks, drug and criminal screenings, employment physical and TB test, etc. assuring these are completed in a timely manner
- Maintain the new employee orientation program that has been designed by CRC for use at all locations that includes mission, corporate and campus overview, review of the Employee Handbook, HR policies and other pertinent employment policies, explanation of benefits, general customer service expectations, campus programs, workers compensation coverage and expectations, etc.
- Assure on-going communication to employees of employee benefits including health insurance, other insurance, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, tax sheltered annuities, and the company's retirement plan. Maintain accurate information and process changes in a timely manner. Serve as the campus resource for benefits.
- Serve as liaison for employees and managers/supervisors responding to questions and inquiries related to employment regulations and corporate and campus HR policies. As needed, interpret and explain policies and regulations.
- Conduct in-house training for management team regarding human resources policies, procedures and practices, human resources issues and provide regular management development opportunities.
- Oversee management of the human resource information system (HRIS) assuring information is completed accurately, timely and is up to date. Validate information entered by others.
- Oversee orientation and training of the system for new managers/supervisors assuring their understanding of the e-training available.
- Oversee management of the timekeeping system. Responsible for the pay period end, providing a high-level review of data and exceptions and signing off for data transmission for payroll purposes. Oversee orientation and training of the system for new managers/ supervisors.
- Oversee management, maintenance and security of employee records and files assuring all necessary documents are fully completed in a timely manner and securely maintained in an orderly fashion and in compliance with CRC policy and State and Federal regulations. Assure confidentiality of all employee records and files assuring that all required employee documents are complete, orderly, and timely.
- Ensure timely preparation, accuracy and processing of all new hire paperwork, pay adjustments and other employee changes.
- Develop, document, implement and maintain CRC HR policy and procedures; adapt as campus policy and procedures necessary for local and state regulations. Provide orientation to managers/supervisors and assure compliance with both corporate and campus policy and procedure. Serve as campus liaison for department managers and staff responding to questions and inquiries relating to HR policy and procedure.
- Oversee management, implementation and monitor the Pay Administration Program assuring consistency and effectiveness of the program. Provide orientation of the program to new managers/supervisors assuring their understanding. Monitor performance evaluation process to assure that appraisals are completed in a timely, equitable, and legal manner.
- In discussion with the manager/supervisor and administrator, approve an involuntary termination. Coach the manager/supervisor so he/she is prepared to meet with employee, observe the termination meeting; participate as needed. With any termination, manage the process assuring proper completion of all documents related to termination
- Actively participate in the campus safety program, and participate in the Safety Committee.
- Manage the campus workers’ compensation program in a manner that protects employees’ rights and corporate resources, adhering to CRC Risk Management Program. Oversee the maintenance of employee incident and safety reports in cooperation with department heads, as required by the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), other workers compensation agencies and the central office. Ensures that claims are timely reported to insurance carrier and manages claims efficiently and effectively and within CRC standards. Serves as primary liaison with the insurance carrier, and local occupational health group. Identify issues and problematic claims and consult with the National Risk Manager (NRM).
- Review and update position descriptions and expectations as needed assuring they accurately reflect organizational needs. Ensure participation of department managers and supervisors, and impacted employees as appropriate and as may be needed, in this process.
- Coordinate employee activities such as employee service recognition, Holiday parties, and other events. Ensure timely recognition of employees. Assist managers in planning department specific events.
- Assure compliance with regulations relating to all human resource functions, such as requirement for physical examinations, skin tests, licenses, etc.
- Maintain documentation of drivers with CDLs and subject to DOT regulations and testing.
- Oversee the process for those selected for random drug and alcohol testing.
- Ensures that employment statistical reports for the federal and state regulatory agencies and corporate office are properly and timely prepared. Disseminates information as necessary to administrators, managers/supervisors and employees.
- Participate in special projects or assignments as requested by executive director, administrator and/or CRC staff.
- Manage the campus Employee Satisfaction Survey distribution and develop/follow-up on action plans created as a result of Survey results.
- Act as the campus representative for cases involving workers compensation, formal complaints, and other legal matters.
- May serves as Corporate Compliance Liaison and/or Risk Manager for campus.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
CUSTOMER SERVICE and PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS
Covenant Retirement Communities esteems residents and employees and values each as members of the community. Co-workers, residents, residents’ family members, visitors, vendors and others with whom this position has contact are all considered our customer and are vital to the success of our organization. It is the duty of each employee, regardless of position, to perform to a level of customer service related to his/her position. The customer service expectations for this position are as follows:
- Reliability - Ensures all department documentation and reports are completed accurately and filed in accordance with federal or state laws or campus policy.
- Assurance - Able to explain all campus and corporate policies and HR law to staff members, including coaching management and administration on application of said policies and laws. Anticipates employee needs in advance (i.e. insurance claims or changes due to birth, scheduled surgeries, leaves, etc.). Maintains complete confidentiality. Ensures new employees are properly oriented. Facilitates positive resolution of personnel issues. Reports residents’ change of health, physical or mental, to appropriate health care staff.
- Tangibles – Exemplifies campus appearance standards in a manner that reflects the professional nature of this position. Maintains a presentable, professional and well-organized office. Ensures that updates and changes to the HR employee bulletin boards are done on a timely basis. Ensures that the employee newsletter is produced and distributed regularly.
- Empathy - Available for employee consultation as needed. A meeting with the employee will be scheduled within 48 hours if an immediate consultation is not feasible. Each week the HR director will physically visit all levels of care and assure weekly availability to employees on all three shifts. Refers employee to appropriate resource if not able to resolve issue personally. Maintains objectivity when handling employment situations. Welcomes new employees on their first day, if possible, otherwise within their first week of employment. Supports needs of individual supervisors. Promotes positive employee moral and satisfaction through various means.
- Responsiveness - Responds to voice mail and e-mail messages within 24 hours of receipt or by date requested by sender. Checks and processes mail daily and responds to all memos and written requests within time frame specified. If out of the office for more than one business day, an appropriate voice mail message will be recorded and an “Out of Office” reply will be set up through his/her e-mail account. Welcomes all new employees on their first shift, if possible, or within their first week of employment.
This position requires an individual with a bachelor's degree in a related field as well as five years of experience in a position of HR leadership. Healthcare experience and/or experience working under a corporate structure are beneficial. Continuing education in human resources management and related topics is expected. SHRM PHR or SPHR certification required or attained within two years of hire expected. A working knowledge of human resource practices, employment laws and regulations and their implementation is required. Word/data processing experience necessary. A proven record of HR leadership and demonstrated strategic thinking.
The individual must be dependable, have excellent inter-personal relationship skills, flexibility, and the abilities to deal well with others and handle a variety of tasks and responsibilities in a
professional, prompt manner are essential. The person must be tactful and possess excellent communication skills (written and verbal, English), and be able to communicate effectively with administration, staff, residents and others with whom this position has contact. The individual must be courteous and relate well to others, have genuine compassion for senior adults and the disabled, project a friendly character, understand customer service and team building concepts.
Must have the ability to work with limited direction or supervision, take initiative, and have the ability to plan and carry out responsibilities, organizing own schedule and duties in order to complete responsibilities. The ability to maintain confidentiality and good judgment are necessary. The position demands attention to detail, accuracy and organizational skills.
A valid driver’s license and good driving record as this position may attend off-site meetings and training
For full time employees, we offer a generous benefits package that includes:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Employer paid group term life and disability
- Paid Time Off (PTO) & six paid holidays
- 403(b) with a 3% employer match
- Various voluntary benefits:
- Life, AD&D
- Tuition assistance and scholarships
- Employee assistance program
- Legal services, home/auto insurance, discount purchasing program
- Pet Insurance
- Fitness center use at most facilities.
For more information about Covenant Retirement Communities, please visit www.covenantretirement.org.
For more information about CovenantCare at Home, please visit www.covenantcareathome.org.
Covenant Retirement Communities and CovenantCare at Home are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.